This year we started our Botany study, and we are including the classification of leaves by shape as used in Montessori schools. We build our own Botany cards.
This is how to make them:
- Cut white cardstock into 18 5 x 3.5" cards (needs to be very firm, and with a non porous finishing if possible, since they are not to be laminated).
- Using this control chart as a guide (Once in the page click on the image to see a bigger version), cut the shape of each leaf type in green felt (the shape size should be such that leaves at least a ¼ “ margin on the card.
- Glue the shapes to the cards.
- Make 2 labels for each shape.
- Attach one label to the reverse of the card (This is going to serve as a control of error)
Work of the child
This work aims at a nomenclature acquirement, so you can basically work with the 3 period lesson with it. After that, the second set of labels can be use to identify each shape.Even though this material cannot replace the puzzle, at least the use of felt gives it an extra tactile dimension, when compared with just simple laminated cards.